Oracle will support apps running on Amazon EC2
IDG News Service - Oracle customers will now be able to deploy a range of Oracle software on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service in production form, the companies announced Monday at the OpenWorld conference in San Francisco.
Oracle is fully supporting and certifying E-Business Suite, PeopleSoft Enterprise, Siebel CRM, Fusion Middleware, its flagship database and Linux distribution on EC2, albeit running inside Oracle's own Oracle VM virtualization technology, not Amazon's.
Amazon's virtualization engine had been a sticking point against customers who wanted to run production versions of applications like E-Business Suite on EC2, since it lacked Oracle's stamp of approval. Instead, Oracle suggested customers could use EC2 for development and testing instances.
Customers can migrate Oracle licenses to EC2 for no additional fee, or buy new ones. Deployments will be aided by upcoming Amazon Machine Images (AMIs), with the first batch covering Oracle's Linux, database, E-Business Suite and Fusion Middleware.
The announcement dovetails with Oracle's own cloud-related announcement on Sunday. Oracle CEO Larry Ellison unveiled the Exalogic Elastic Cloud, a combination of hardware and software that, much like EC2, provides a virtualized pool of infrastructure that can shift resources to applications in response to demand.
But Oracle intends Exalogic to be run behind customers' firewalls. So far, the company has made no indication it plans to open a public cloud service like EC2 on its own.
Other aspects of Oracle's cloud computing strategy could be revealed Tuesday, during a keynote by Thomas Kurian, executive vice president of product development.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts