Update: IBM to acquire Netezza for $1.7B
Netezza's high-performance analytics capabilities will be added to IBM's offerings
IDG News Service - Expanding its business analytics offerings yet again, IBM is acquiring data warehouse appliance vendor Netezza for approximately $1.7 billion in cash.
The two companies have entered into a definitive agreement calling for IBM to purchase Netezza stock in cash, for $27 per share, the companies jointly announced Monday.
"Netezza strongly complements our business analytics capabilities and client base," said Steve Mills, an IBM Software and Systems senior vice president and group executive, in a statement.
Over the last four years, IBM has spent more than $12 billion to acquire 23 analytics related companies.
IBM sees Marlborough, Mass.-based Netezza as a strategic asset and hopes to expand the use of business analytics within its customer base, the company asserted. In a survey of CIO's, IBM had found that 83% had identified analytics as a top priority. The company has dedicated over 6,000 consultants to analytics services.
Netezza offers data warehouse appliances that the company has claimed are fast and easy to deploy. A partner with IBM for several years, Netezza has built its appliances using IBM software and hardware. IBM will fold Netezza's products within IBM's Information Management software portfolio.
"The addition of Netezza will reinforce IBM's focus in understanding clients' needs by providing them a broader set of analytics capabilities and bringing the power of analytics right into the hands of business users at every level within an organization," said Arvind Krishna, Information Management, IBM information management general manager.
With over 500 employees worldwide, Netezza has approximately 350 enterprise users, including eHarmony, Estee Lauder, Nationwide Insurance, Neiman Marcus, Time Warner, Virgin Media and others.
The acquisition is subject to Netezza shareholder approval and regulatory clearances, and is expected to close in the fourth quarter, IBM said.
(IDG News Service editor Marc Ferranti contributed to this story.)
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- 13 Reasons to Move to Adobe Creative Cloud One of the big advantages Adobe Creative Cloud for teams offers over Adobe Creative Suite 6 perpetual software is the ability to continually...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!