Start-up unveils SAN-to-cloud optimizer appliance
Cirtas' appliance caches locally, stores data remotely
Computerworld - Start-up Cirtas Systems unveiled its first product today, an appliance that caches high-priority data locally and stores secondary data in the cloud using WAN optimization technology.
Cirtas' 2U (3.5-in-high) appliance, the Bluejet Cloud Storage Controller, acts as a local cache that uses a combination of DRAM, solid-state drives and 7,200-rpm hard disk drives. The multiple tiers of storage enable users to set up policies for storing data based on priority. The appliance offers up to 3.5TB of internal capacity.
The Bluejet appliance also compresses and de-duplicates data before replicating it off-site via either Iron Mountain's Archive Services or Amazon's S3 cloud storage service, depending on data storage and restoration requirements.
"The appliance connects to the customer's SAN and appears like another array, but it allows the enterprise to use [cloud storage] instead of accumulating data on-site," said Dan Decasper, co-founder and CEO of Cirtas. "We will announce other [cloud service] providers in coming releases."
The Bluejet appliance offers data-compression ratios of 2:1 to 3:1, depending on the data type, and a data de-duplication ratio as high as 50:1 for backup, Decasper said.
One advantage to using the Bluejet appliance for disaster recovery, Decasper said, is that a user company does not need connectivity between a primary data center and a secondary off-site data center. Instead, if a primary site goes down, the company can open a link to the cloud service provider, which has connectivity to the secondary disaster recovery site.
"So for disaster recovery to work, you don't need an expensive leased line between primary and secondary sites," Decasper said.
Cirtas is targeting midmarket enterprise companies with its new appliance, or companies with annual revenues between $200 million and $10 billion.
The Blujet appliance comes with several service support plans -- a next-day service plan, or a 24/7 premium plan.
The appliance is available immediately and will have a starting retail price of $69,995.
"Cirtas Bluejet makes migrating data to the cloud fast and painless, and perfectly complements our portfolio of cloud storage and information management services," Jaimin Patel, director of developer programs for Iron Mountain, said in a statement. "Together, Cirtas and Iron Mountain offer enterprise customers an integrated cloud solution that is easy to implement and manage while ensuring stored information is accessible and secure."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts