IDG News Service - The first release of Oracle's long-awaited, next-generation Fusion Applications will be generally available in the first quarter of 2011, CEO Larry Ellison said during a keynote address at the OpenWorld conference in San Francisco on Sunday.
"We knew we had to do a next-generation bringing together the best features of PeopleSoft, E-business suite and Siebel," he said. "More than five years later, we're finally there. It was an enormous amount of work. ... It has been, and continues to be, an enormous engineering effort."
Oracle had to re-implement those features "on top of a modern middleware infrastructure," namely Oracle's own Fusion Middleware, Ellison said.
There are some 10,000 unique business processes in the suite, and 100 different products will be available simultaneously at the general release, he said. "We've never done that before, and I hope we never do it again."
Oracle "didn't go into a cave" while developing the software, according to Ellison. It performed ample testing with customers along the way to ensure satisfaction with the user interface, he said.
The software "doesn't look a lot like E-Business Suite, it doesn't look a lot like SAP. It's a modern interface."
The applications are available on-premises or on-demand from Oracle, he said. "You decide." Customers can start running the software on-demand and easily move them in-house if they choose, according to Ellison.
Ellison indicated that Oracle has no intentions of pushing customers on older software products to switch to Fusion.
"We think for most customers, the right thing to do is see how these early deployments go. … You can go to Fusion at a time of your choosing. You know better about how to deploy your IT resources."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- 8 Steps to Fill the Mobile Enterprise Application Gap Traveling executives and Millennials alike expect to communicate, collaborate and access their important work applications and data from anywhere on whatever device they...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts