Google rolls out 2-step verification for Apps users
New sign-in feature unveiled at Google Atmosphere aims to boost cloud security
Computerworld - Google today moved to boost security for users of its hosted Google Apps tools by adding a new two-step verification process.
Google announced the new sign-in feature Monday morning at its Google Atmosphere conference in Paris.
"Cloud computing is about making your information easily accessible from anywhere, on any device," Eran Feigenbaum, director of security for Google Apps, said in a blog post. "Until today, organizations looking to secure their information beyond a password have faced costs and complexities that prevented many of them from using stronger security technologies. Today, we are changing that with the introduction of a more secure sign-in capability for Google Apps accounts that significantly increases the security of the cloud: Two-step verification."
The feature, which must be enabled by an administrator, requires that users have two means of identification - something they know (a password), and something they have (a cell phone).
Feigenbaum explained that after a user plugs in her password, a verification code will then be sent to her cell phone.
"This makes it much more likely that you're the only one accessing your data," he said. "Even if someone has stolen your password, they'll need more than that to access your account. You can also indicate when you're using a computer you trust and don't want to be asked for a verification code from that machine in the future."
While this new capability is just for Google Apps business users today, Feigenbaum said it will be rolled out to all individual Google users "in the coming months."
Google apps include Gmail, Google Docs and Calendar.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Transform IT: Transform the Enterprise This paper provides IT leaders with insight into three IT imperatives that 24 CIOs and senior IT executives used to reposition IT and...
- Case Study Adopting ITSM Tech to Support ITIL Initiatives CIO Bart Murphy Improves Service Delivery while Lowering Costs by consolidating services across 6 business units.
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!