IDG News Service - Samsung on Thursday said it was opening an entertainment store to bring movies and TV shows to its smartphones and upcoming Galaxy Tab tablet.
The store, called Media Hub, will offer films and TV programs for rent or purchase, said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Telecommunications America, during a U.S. launch event for its Galaxy Tab tablet.
The Media Hub store pits the company against Apple, which offers movies, music and TV shows for purchase through its iTunes store.
With the Media Hub, consumers will be available to watch movies and TV optimized for the Galaxy devices, Sohn said. Movies and TV shows are available for purchase immediately for Galaxy S smartphones. The service will also be available for the upcoming Galaxy Tab tablet, which will be released in the next few weeks.
Consumers have been asking for entertainment on the go, Sohn said. The content available for download will include the latest films and TV episodes, available in the store as soon as the next day. Content will be streamed instantly as they are being downloaded.
The company has built a library of movies and TV shows by working with partners including MTV Networks, NBC, Universal Studios and Paramount, said Gavin Kim, vice president of content services and enterprise mobility, at the event. The company will make announcements on new partners over the next few months.
The company didn't immediately offer details on pricing for shows and movies. Kim said the pricing would be "competitive" with other content stores in the market.
The Media Hub is Samsung's next step in developing an application and content ecosystem that will make Samsung's devices more attractive to customers, said Omar Khan, chief strategy officer at Samsung Mobile.
Media Hub also allows users to purchase content that can be shared separately shared with up to five devices.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts