JPMorgan Chase deposits blame, sort of, for outage
Bank's explanation points to authentication database issue
Computerworld - JPMorgan Chase is trying to move past three days of problems on its online banking site with an apology and an explanation that seems to put the cause on a third party.
The bank, in a statement posted online, said it was "sorry for the difficulties" that customers encountered, and said "we apologize for not communicating better with you during this issue."
At first, Chase simply cited a "technical issue" for the problem. It has since provided a little more information.
The bank, the nation's second largest, said in a separate statement that a "third party database company's software caused a corruption of systems information disabling our ability to process customer log-ins to chase.com." It added that the problem "resulted in a long recovery process."
Analyst Curt Monash of Monash Research, commenting on the bank's explanation, said: "Their ambiguity is unhelpful."
JPMorgan seems to be saying that "their authentication database failed in some way," Monash said. A security database is often managed separately from a database management system, he said.
During the outage, customers couldn't use the online banking site, but the bank's ATMs, branches and call centers were unaffected. ATMs, for instance, use different authentication technologies -- bank cards and user PINs.
The "third party" reference could mean that the bank bought software elsewhere, Monash said. "It's hard to imagine that they would outsource authentication - it's too core," said Monash, who also wrote about the problem on his blog.
The bank said customer data was never at risk. Tom Kelly, a bank spokesman, said he had no problem logging on to the system today.
Emmett Higdon, an analyst at Forrester Research, said the outage underscores the importance of online banking. "We've come to rely on such high availability that if there is any outage we get very, very annoyed, " he said.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide
- In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management
- Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions
- IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,... All Financial IT White Papers
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
One Storefront to Rule Them All
Take the load off managing mobile users with IT service request and delivery across all platforms!
Give your users the on-demand, enterprise app...
Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal
Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- All Financial IT Webcasts