IDG News Service - Oracle's annual OpenWorld conference kicks off Sunday and is set to be the biggest one yet, both in attendance and in information on future technologies that could have a major influence across the tech world. Here's a look at some of the hottest topics at the event, which runs through next Thursday in San Francisco.
1. Hurd and hardware
Oracle Co-President and former Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd will speak Monday in his first major show appearance since being named to the post last week.
Hurd, who is now in charge of sales, marketing and support for Oracle, is charged with selling the company's vision for systems that integrate software with servers and storage.
Oracle's Exadata database machine platform lies at the center of the strategy. Exadata boxes are capable of handling both analytic and transactional workloads, and, according to Oracle, do so much faster than machines from rivals like IBM.
It's possible that Hurd himself will unveil expected new Exadata products. Hurd will speak along with Oracle Chief Architect Edward Screven and John Fowler, executive vice president of systems.
2. HP's presence
Public tensions are running high between Oracle and HP, which sued Hurd for taking the Oracle job on grounds he violated the terms of his severance agreement. Oracle CEO Larry Ellison has said HP's suit is "vindictive" and jeopardizes the companies' longstanding partnership.
But HP is nonetheless set to have a major presence at the show, with Ann Livermore, executive vice president of HP's enterprise business division, delivering a speech Sunday. But it remains to be seen whether Oracle takes pains to keep Hurd and Livermore separated during the week.
3. Fusion Applications finally arrive?
Oracle has been a little coy with the show's featured keynote on Sunday. At one point, the company's Web site said Ellison and other executives would discuss the long-awaited Fusion Applications, which are to combine the best features of Oracle's various product lines into a next-generation suite.
But as of Thursday, that description has been replaced with something more vague, stating simply that show goers should "join Larry Ellison as he previews the week's announcements and key product innovations."
While it's unknown what Ellison will say about Fusion Applications during that talk, the show is still set to feature many sessions on the software. It's unclear, however, whether Ellison or other Oracle executives will reveal what many observers eagerly want to see: a release date.
4. Calming the installed base
Even as Oracle revs up Fusion Applications, it needs to assuage any fears or concerns customers may have regarding their existing investments in applications like PeopleSoft, JD Edwards and E-Business Suite.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts