STEC releases faster SSDs for data centers
MACH16 drives generate up to twice the throughput as their predecessors
Computerworld - STEC Corp. on Tuesday released its highest endurance and performance solid-state drive (SSD) family to date. The drives are aimed at enterprise-class servers that can handle up to 30,000 I/O per second and have more than a five-year lifespan.
The MACH16 family of SSDs follow the MACH8 line-up released last year. MACH16 drives use STEC's latest flash controller, which enables them to achieve up to 240MB/sec reads and 190MB/sec writes. The MACH 8 is capable of up to 90MB/sec reads and 90MB/sec writes.
STEC said the drives mean users need fewer servers to serve up more data, thereby lowering the total cost of ownership.
The MACH16 drives are available in several configurations, including multi-level cell (MLC) and single-level cell (SLC) versions with capacities of up to 400GB. The drives are currently being sampled by server and storage array manufacturers.
"The launch of our MACH16 products is another important milesgone for our SSD portfolio as it truly raises the bar for enterprise-grade SSDs and addresses many of the demands from our customer base," STEC CEO Monouch Moshayedi said in a statement.
Pricing for the new drives was not released.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts