InfoWorld - VMware and Novell announced on Wednesday general availability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware, geared for use in virtualized and cloud environments.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware is designed to reduce IT complexity and assist with the evolution to a fully virtualized data center, the companies said.
[ Doing server virtualization right is not so simple. InfoWorld's expert contributors show you how to get it right in this 24-page "Server Virtualization Deep Dive" PDF guide. ]
The SUSE Linux technology enables users to port Suse Linux workloads across clouds.
"This unique partnership gives VMware and Novell customers a simplified and lower-cost way to virtualize and manage their IT environments, from the data center to fully virtualized data centers," said Joe Wagner, Novell senior vice president and general manager for global alliances, in a statement released by the two companies.
"With SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware, we provide customers a proven enterprise Linux operating platform with subscription to patches and updates at no additional cost, improving their ability to complete the transformation of their data center into a private cloud while further increasing their return on investment," said Raghu Raghuram, senior vice president and general manager for virtualization and cloud platforms at VMware, also in a statement.
VMware also will offer an option to purchase technical support services for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware, providing a seamless support experience, the companies said.
This article, "Suse Linux for VMware ships," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter.
Read more about virtualization in InfoWorld's Virtualization Channel.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!