How will this affect the search engine optimization that publishers do to improve the way their pages rank on Google results? The SEO community is very good at optimizing for whatever people are searching for. This will change the way people search, but if anything it gives SEOs more opportunities to apply their expertise than ever before. Someone's going to have to analyze this data and think about it. That's their business and they'll do an excellent job at it, I'm sure.
What will be the effect on search engine marketing? If longer, original queries will decrease, and Google's pre-packaged ones will be favored, how does that change the way advertisers choose queries to bid on? The main thing for search marketers is that people will still be searching, and, if anything, searching more. Most advertisers tend to advertise for tens of thousands of keywords, not just a few. So they'll still get plenty of impressions and clicks.
Do you plan to extend Instant to your vertical engines like News, Books and Image search? I want to get on every search feature we have. We have people working hard on that.
How do you envision future enhancements and improvements to this feature? Browsers could do a lot to make apps like this one easier to build and better for users. There are things in HTML 5 that are being debated and that will eventually roll out that will make something like this even simpler and faster. We had to go through a lot of hoops to make this work in today's browsers. There are many opportunities to make search even more interactive and give you more relevant feedback as you're entering your search. We have a lot of demos and features that we left out which we didn't have time to get in [this first version.] This is a first-of-its-kind product, so it will evolve. It's certainly going to change.
Is this going to be the default search mode in the future at some point for most people? It's the preferred mode for most people after 10 minutes of giving it a try. They instantly figure out how to use it. People don't like change so there's an initial reaction, but we've gotten a lot of positive feedback.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts