Watch out Google, here comes Facebook
Where are U.S. users spending the most time online? Sorry, Google. This time it's Facebook
While Google has long been at the top of the heap when it comes to grabbing the most visitors and users' time spent on a Web site, now Facebook is making its mark.
Online researcher comScore reported this week that for the month of August, Facebook edged out Google in terms of how much time U.S. users spent on a Web site. U.S. users spent a total of 41.1 million minutes on Facebook last month, compared with 39.8 million minutes on Google's various sites, including Google News and YouTube.
Yahoo came in third, grabbing 37.7 million minutes.
"Facebook continues to grow its user base and grow engagement among its users," said Andrew Lipsman, senior director of industry analysis at comScore. "A year ago Facebook accounted for less than 5% of overall time spent online in the U.S. and today it accounts for 10%. ... This continued growth presents more opportunity for advertising now, and also more potential to engage its network for new revenue possibilities in the future."
Last March, Facebook hit a similar milestone when the social networking site replaced Google as the most visited Web site in the U.S. for a full week.
Though Google quickly returned to its top spot, for the week ending March 13, Facebook was the most-visited Web site in the U.S.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts