In an Instant, Google pulls further ahead of Microsoft, Yahoo
Google Instant is the latest salvo in the ongoing battle for search share
And that's just what Google did on Wednesday, when the company unveiled Google Instant, say industry analysts.
Google Instant is aimed at speeding search results by searching as you type. The new, dynamic feature, which began to be rolled out Wednesday, is about starting the search process before the user even finishes typing in the query. Google is now predicting what people will be asking for.
The move is a "dramatic break" from the traditional Google search experience, says Hadley Reynolds, an analyst with IDC.
"While many of the familiar [search] elements are still in place, the speed and streaming aspects of Google's understanding of the user query and presentation of the results will be revolutionary," Reynolds said.
"The traditional Google search model was incredibly wasteful of users' time... Instant will help show what the right links are more quickly," he said.
Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of Search Products, said, "The user benefits of Google Instant are many but the primary one is time saved." Mayer announced the new feature at the company's launch event in San Francisco yesterday.
"Our testing has shown that Google Instant saves the average searcher 2 to 5 seconds per search. That may not seem like a lot at first, but it adds up," she said.
Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group, said he agreed that on first thought, it might not sound like a lot of time saved, but it could be enough to give Google a leg up on its search competition.
"Google did some more math and figured it would save users 3.5 billion seconds per day. I'm not sure what we're all going to do with the extra time, but hopefully we'll think of something," Olds said. "This gives Google something to brag about. I think that this is a feature that Microsoft will have to add to Bing in the near future. It's pretty useful and gives Google a clear competitive advantage."
- Yahoo can't stall Bing rollout in Taiwan, Hong Kong
- Google keeps Bing, Yahoo at bay in search business
- Google updates Google Now, makes it more prominent on phones
- Yahoo to focus on search -- and Google
- Microsoft's Bing counters Google with Yelp partnership
- Mozilla dumps Yandex as default search for Russian Firefox
- Google aims to make search smarter, easier
- Microsoft Bing goes social in search war with Google
- Facebook tries to out-Google Google with new search tool
- Google, Microsoft each seek search 'game changer'
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts