Oracle calls HP's lawsuit against Hurd 'vindictive'
The move threatens the two companies' relationship
IDG News Service - Oracle called Hewlett-Packard's lawsuit against its former CEO "vindictive" and said it threatened the companies' close relationship.
The lawsuit followed Mark Hurd's resignation from HP last month and Oracle's announcement on Monday that it had hired Hurd as one of its co-presidents. HP said Hurd's employment at Oracle violated the terms of his severance agreement with HP and raised confidentiality issues.
"Oracle has long viewed HP as an important partner," Oracle CEO Larry Ellison said in a statement. "By filing this vindictive lawsuit against Oracle and Mark Hurd, the HP board is acting with utter disregard for that partnership, our joint customers, and their own shareholders and employees. The HP Board is making it virtually impossible for Oracle and HP to continue to cooperate and work together in the IT marketplace."
Hurd resigned from HP in early August following a charge of sexual harassment by a contractor and alleged improprieties with expense reports. He walked away with a severance payment of $12.2 million plus hundreds of thousands of shares of HP stock, worth an additional tens of millions of dollars.
"Despite being paid millions of dollars in cash, stock and stock options in exchange for Hurd's agreements to protect HP's trade secrets .... HP is informed and believes and thereon alleges that Hurd has put HP's most valuable trade secrets and confidential information in peril," HP alleged in its lawsuit, filed Tuesday in a Santa Clara, California, court.
According to the suit, Hurd agreed to notify HP within a year of his departure whether he plans to take a job with a competitor and offer HP enough details about the job to determine if it would lead to a violation of the confidentiality agreement. Hurd didn't do so prior to Oracle's Monday announcement, HP says.
HP is asking the court to prevent Hurd from taking the job.
- HP says never mind about June 3D printer announcement
- Create Magical Vendor Presentations Using Analytics, TED and Steve Jobs
- Review + videos: 3 convertible Windows laptops try to be all devices to all people
- Reviews: HP's EliteBook 840 and Logitech's ConferenceCam CC3000e
- Helping Data Centers to Cope With Big Data Workloads
- HP upgrade project meets a NASA that's 'resistant to change'
- Power to the portable: 3 high-performance mobile workstations
- 3 Powerful Laptops Built for Serious Business
- As Twitter hires, HP fires
- Perspective: Microsoft's CEO pick will be dubbed a dud, bragged as brilliant
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity... All Government IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Government IT Webcasts