White House launches Web site seeking citizens' help
IDG News Service - The U.S. government is asking the public for help with some of its most vexing problems with the launch of a new Web site that offers rewards for the best ideas.
Challenge.gov, announced by U.S. government CTO Aneesh Chopra and CIO Vivek Kundra on Tuesday, seeks the public's ideas on several problems government agencies want solved. As of Tuesday, Challenge.gov listed 36 challenges from 16 U.S. agencies, with most of the challenges offering cash prizes.
Challenge.gov "will build out an accountable, results-oriented ecosystem that is fueled by grassroots, bottom-up organizations in the public," Kundra said at the Gov. 2.0 Summit in Washington.
The site will "engage the American people in new and creative ways to solve real and practical problems," he added.
The U.S. Department of Energy is offering $15 million in prizes in a contest to create ultra-efficient lighting products. Nine other contests listed as of Tuesday offer prizes of $1 million or more, and several contests offered prizes of $5,000 or less.
Other contests offered the winners publicity or a pat on the back from a grateful government. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has challenged universities to reduce the garbage generated at football games, with publicity going to the winners in several categories.
The U.S. Department of the Interior is asking for people to submit photographs of national historic landmarks, with the winners' pictures displayed on the National Park S ervice Web site. This is the 11th anniversary of the contest.
Other challenges listed on Challenge.gov are new. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama want teams of people to create tasty and healthy recipes that can be used in school lunch programs. Winning teams will be invited to prepare their recipes alongside White House chefs, and the challenge includes $12,000 in prize money.
Challenge.gov is part of a "fundamental shift" in the way government works, Kundra said. "What Challenge.gov does is it engages the American people to be co-creators in creating solutions to some of the toughest problems this country faces," he added.
People who go to Challenge.gov can vote on problems and solutions offered there, in addition to competing in the challenges, Kundra said. People who sign on to support a challenge will get updates of its progress.
There's a long history of challenges by private funding groups in the U.S., said Bev Godwin, director of new media and citizen engagement at the U.S. General Services Administration, the agency administering Challenge.gov. In 1919, New York hotel owner Raymond Orteig offered a $25,000 prize to the first pilot who could fly nonstop between New York and Paris.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Government IT Webcasts