Hurd joins Oracle as co-president
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison says Hurd did a 'brilliant job' at HP
IDG News Service - Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd has been appointed co-president of Oracle, the software company announced Monday.
Hurd, who also joined Oracle's board of directors, will serve as co-president alongside Safra Catz. Co-President Charles Phillips has resigned his position and will step down from the company's board, the company said.
"Mark did a brilliant job at HP and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle," said CEO Larry Ellison in a statement.
Hurd's appointment comes after weekend reports that he was in talks to join Oracle. Hurd left HP in August amid a scandal over an undisclosed relationship with a contractor and falsified expense reports. At the time, Ellison was among Hurd's most vocal supporters, criticizing HP's board for its handling of the matter.
Oracle's statement did not specify Hurd's area of responsibility. Catz, the other co-president, handles legal and financial issues and helped to negotiate Oracle's takeover of Sun Microsystems. Both positions report to Ellison.
Hurd will replace Phillips, who was most recently responsible for Oracle's sales and marketing. Phillips had been rumored to be leaving the company after a series of missteps.
Earlier this year, Phillips acknowledged having an affair after romantic pictures of him with a woman who was not his wife appeared on billboards in U.S. cities. In another incident in July, Oracle issued a statement rebutting comments by Phillips that the company had increased its budget for acquisitions over the next five years.
- Reviews: HP's EliteBook 840 and Logitech's ConferenceCam CC3000e
- Helping Data Centers to Cope With Big Data Workloads
- HP upgrade project meets a NASA that's 'resistant to change'
- Power to the portable: 3 high-performance mobile workstations
- 3 Powerful Laptops Built for Serious Business
- As Twitter hires, HP fires
- Perspective: Microsoft's CEO pick will be dubbed a dud, bragged as brilliant
- 3 Things That Will Make the 'New' Dell Different
- Chromebooks charge into business market
- Review: Dell Compellent storage delivers flash speeds at disk prices
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts