Hurd joins Oracle as co-president
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison says Hurd did a 'brilliant job' at HP
IDG News Service - Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd has been appointed co-president of Oracle, the software company announced Monday.
Hurd, who also joined Oracle's board of directors, will serve as co-president alongside Safra Catz. Co-President Charles Phillips has resigned his position and will step down from the company's board, the company said.
"Mark did a brilliant job at HP and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle," said CEO Larry Ellison in a statement.
Hurd's appointment comes after weekend reports that he was in talks to join Oracle. Hurd left HP in August amid a scandal over an undisclosed relationship with a contractor and falsified expense reports. At the time, Ellison was among Hurd's most vocal supporters, criticizing HP's board for its handling of the matter.
Oracle's statement did not specify Hurd's area of responsibility. Catz, the other co-president, handles legal and financial issues and helped to negotiate Oracle's takeover of Sun Microsystems. Both positions report to Ellison.
Hurd will replace Phillips, who was most recently responsible for Oracle's sales and marketing. Phillips had been rumored to be leaving the company after a series of missteps.
Earlier this year, Phillips acknowledged having an affair after romantic pictures of him with a woman who was not his wife appeared on billboards in U.S. cities. In another incident in July, Oracle issued a statement rebutting comments by Phillips that the company had increased its budget for acquisitions over the next five years.
- HP says never mind about June 3D printer announcement
- Create Magical Vendor Presentations Using Analytics, TED and Steve Jobs
- Review + videos: 3 convertible Windows laptops try to be all devices to all people
- Reviews: HP's EliteBook 840 and Logitech's ConferenceCam CC3000e
- Helping Data Centers to Cope With Big Data Workloads
- HP upgrade project meets a NASA that's 'resistant to change'
- Power to the portable: 3 high-performance mobile workstations
- 3 Powerful Laptops Built for Serious Business
- As Twitter hires, HP fires
- Perspective: Microsoft's CEO pick will be dubbed a dud, bragged as brilliant
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts