Hurd joins Oracle as co-president
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison says Hurd did a 'brilliant job' at HP
IDG News Service - Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd has been appointed co-president of Oracle, the software company announced Monday.
Hurd, who also joined Oracle's board of directors, will serve as co-president alongside Safra Catz. Co-President Charles Phillips has resigned his position and will step down from the company's board, the company said.
"Mark did a brilliant job at HP and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle," said CEO Larry Ellison in a statement.
Hurd's appointment comes after weekend reports that he was in talks to join Oracle. Hurd left HP in August amid a scandal over an undisclosed relationship with a contractor and falsified expense reports. At the time, Ellison was among Hurd's most vocal supporters, criticizing HP's board for its handling of the matter.
Oracle's statement did not specify Hurd's area of responsibility. Catz, the other co-president, handles legal and financial issues and helped to negotiate Oracle's takeover of Sun Microsystems. Both positions report to Ellison.
Hurd will replace Phillips, who was most recently responsible for Oracle's sales and marketing. Phillips had been rumored to be leaving the company after a series of missteps.
Earlier this year, Phillips acknowledged having an affair after romantic pictures of him with a woman who was not his wife appeared on billboards in U.S. cities. In another incident in July, Oracle issued a statement rebutting comments by Phillips that the company had increased its budget for acquisitions over the next five years.
- Aloha point-of-sale terminal, sold on eBay, yields security surprises
- HP, Intel, GM and Walmart demand changes to renewable energy industry
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Does HP have a development pipeline or a pipe dream?
- HP Places Its Data Center Bet on 'The Machine'
- 6 Emerging Programming Languages Career-Minded Developers Should Learn
- Beware the next circle of hell: Unpatchable systems
- Rackspace not a good fit for Cisco, says Chambers
- Solar power to provide HP's HQ with 20% of its electricity
- Review: Dell WYSE delivers Android-on-a-stick
- 6 Top Enterprise Workgroup Printers
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.