IDG News Service - Scammers are trying to take advantage of the fact that many users will soon have to update their version of the TweetDeck Twitter software.
On Monday, TweetDeck warned that some Twitter messages were advising people to upload an untrustworthy executable file, called tweetdeck-08302010-update.exe.
"These tweets are from hacked accounts and this file does not come from us. Do not download it," TweetDeck said in a post on its support page.
The software is a generic Trojan horse program that is not detected by most antivirus products, said Paul Ferguson, a researcher with Trend Micro. This type of software is used to download a variety of different malicious programs such as password-stealing keyloggers.
Users of the older versions of TweetDeck really will have to update their software Tuesday, as Twitter is expected to pull support for a programming interface used by TweetDeck releases prior to version 0.33.
Scammers apparently see this as an opportunity. On Monday, numerous posts were viewable on Twitter, telling users to update TweetDeck. "Sorry for offtopic, but it is a critical TweetDeck update. It won't work tomorrow!" reads one post.
The scammers have also included popular Twitter search terms such as "emmys" in the messages, presumably so they will turn up in search results and trick people.
The fake updates are hosted on the Alturl.com website. The only place that real TweetDeck updates can be found is: http://www.tweetdeck.com/desktop/
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts