IDG News Service - Scammers are trying to take advantage of the fact that many users will soon have to update their version of the TweetDeck Twitter software.
On Monday, TweetDeck warned that some Twitter messages were advising people to upload an untrustworthy executable file, called tweetdeck-08302010-update.exe.
"These tweets are from hacked accounts and this file does not come from us. Do not download it," TweetDeck said in a post on its support page.
The software is a generic Trojan horse program that is not detected by most antivirus products, said Paul Ferguson, a researcher with Trend Micro. This type of software is used to download a variety of different malicious programs such as password-stealing keyloggers.
Users of the older versions of TweetDeck really will have to update their software Tuesday, as Twitter is expected to pull support for a programming interface used by TweetDeck releases prior to version 0.33.
Scammers apparently see this as an opportunity. On Monday, numerous posts were viewable on Twitter, telling users to update TweetDeck. "Sorry for offtopic, but it is a critical TweetDeck update. It won't work tomorrow!" reads one post.
The scammers have also included popular Twitter search terms such as "emmys" in the messages, presumably so they will turn up in search results and trick people.
The fake updates are hosted on the Alturl.com website. The only place that real TweetDeck updates can be found is: http://www.tweetdeck.com/desktop/
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!