Gmail users make 1M calls in 24 hours
Google tweets about the strong kickoff of its Gmail voice calling feature
"Thanks to everyone using this new feature," the company tweeted.
The company unveiled Gmail's voice calling feature Wednesday. The feature works much like a normal phone, enabling users to click on the "Call Phone" tab in their chat box. From there, they enter a contact name or phone number.
Google's new Gmail effort is a direct slap to Skype, which has become the leader in the Internet phone service market.
"It could potentially be a big competitor to Skype, but Skype is already very well adopted," said Yankee Group analyst Zeus Kerravala. "The question is what will Google's voice give you that Skype doesn't. Right now, the only thing is that it's part of Google, but that's hardly a differentiator."
Skype, founded in 2003, isn't just a consumer service. Businesses turn to Skype to make video and voice calls over the Internet. Google, which for months has been trying to push its way into the enterprise, could well be looking at getting another bite at the corporate pie through Gmail's new voice feature.
Google is trying to lure in new users by making calls to anyone in the U.S. and Canada free through at least the end of the year. The new feature is being rolled out to U.S. users this week. A time frame for introduced the service in other countries hasn't been set.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts