PC World - Bill Hullender wants to upgrade to Windows 7. He asked the Answer Line forum if his XP software will still work.
Almost certainly. Most programs that work in XP and Vista will have no trouble in Windows 7.
There are a few exceptions, of course. If you want to make sure that the program of your choice works in the new environment, look it up at the Windows 7 Compatibility Center. Once there, you can browse through program types or search by the program's name.
Or you can visit the program's web site and see what they say on the matter.
If you discover that a program of yours does have a problem, you have four options.
1) You can run it in XP Compatibility Mode. Right-click the program file or a shortcut to the program on the Start menu, and select Properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and select one of the XP options from the pull-down menu. Then hope it works.
2) You can upgrade to a more recent version, or replace it with a competitor's program.
3) You can install Windows 7 on a separate partition so that you can choose XP or Windows 7 every time you boot. See Dual-Boot with Windows 7 for details.
4) If you're upgrading to Windows 7 Business or Ultimate, you can download and install the Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode. These will allow you to basically run XP inside Windows 7.
There is one other issue you should keep in mind: If you're moving from an older XP computer to a new Windows 7 one, you're probably also moving from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version. (Both XP and Windows 7 come in both flavors, but 64-bit is much more common now than it was when new PCs came with XP.) While the 16-bit Windows programs from the early 1990s run just fine in 32-bit environments, they don't work in 64-bit Windows. Therefore, some of your older applications may not work on the new computer.
Read the original forum discussion.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts