Network World - Demand for Windows and Linux servers is increasing at a rapid pace, at the expense of Unix servers and other non-x86 machines, according to IDC.
"Microsoft Windows server demand was positively impacted [in Q2 2010] by the accelerating x86 server market, as hardware revenue increased 6.7% and unit shipments increased 28.2% year over year," IDC says.
Windows-based servers raked in $5 billion in quarterly revenue, representing 46.5% of worldwide server factory revenue. But there was room for both Windows and its rival Linux to be declared winners in the second quarter.
Linux-based server revenue grew 30.1% to $1.8 billion year-over-year. "Linux servers now represent 16.8% of all server revenue, up 2.5 points over 2Q09," IDC says.
Overall, server sales posted their biggest jump since 2003, with an 11% increase in revenue and a 24% increase in server unit shipments.
The demand is mainly being driven by x86 systems. "IDC expects the recovery to extend to Unix and mainframe platforms in the second half of 2010," the research firm says. But in the second quarter, Unix server revenue declined 7.3% year-over-year "as customers waited for details about the IBM Power Systems servers."
The total market for non-x86 servers declined 16% to $3.9 billion in quarterly revenue.
Follow Jon Brodkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jbrodkin
Read more about data centers in Network World's Data Center section.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts