IDG News Service - Apple has released a security update to its Mac OS X operating system, fixing a number of critical security issues in the software.
The update, released early Tuesday afternoon, Pacific time, fixes 13 bugs in various OS X components, including core components such as Apple Type Services and CFNetwork. It's Apple's fifth OS X security update this year.
Many open-source OS X components are also patched, including Samba, PHP and ClamAV software.
At least six of the bugs theoretically could be exploited by attackers to run unauthorized software on the Mac, Apple said.
Microsoft's Windows operating system remains the favorite target of online attackers, but security experts say it's always a good idea to install these security updates as quickly as possible, no matter what the product.
- 7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration OS migration is typically time-consuming and expensive. To make your next migration easy, follow these six recommendations when planning your project.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts