Google tests instant search feature
Company tries out ability to give users results that dynamically change as they type
Computerworld - The Internet is abuzz with talk about a new search feature that Google has been trying out.
Search-engine optimization consultant Rob Ousbey was among the first to notice that Google has been testing an instant search feature. That means search results start popping up as the user types, changing dynamically as the user continues typing.
A Google spokesman would neither confirm nor deny the test.
However, a source close to Google confirmed the veracity of Ousbey's video, noting that the test is being run on a limited basis. However she noted that there's no telling whether the experiment will become a new feature offered to all Google users.
Yankee Group analyst Zeus Kerravala noted that an instant search feature would put a lot of strain on Google's system. Google itself has said that it handles about a billion searches a day. If the company suddenly had to produce dynamically changing search results on top of that already hefty load, it could put a lot of pressure on the computer systems running in the background.
"I think it would initially [add a lot of system stress] so they might face some short-term pain to get to the longer-term gain," Kerravala said. "Google has built out a tremendously robust infrastructure. And my guess is that with their resources, though, if [the new feature] became a big hit, other search engines would have a hard time keeping up."
Several analysts have told Computerworld that they expect this wave of search innovation to last well into 2011 as the two companies compete for a lucrative share of the search market.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts