IDG News Service - Google has acquired Like.com, which offers a visual search engine for retail products, a deal aimed at boosting Google's shopping search capabilities and services like its Products engine.
The acquistion comes years after the first rumors emerged that Google was interested in buying Like.com, which was initially known as Riya when the company was founded in 2004.
Like.com CEO and co-founder Munjal Shah announced the deal on his company's home page on Friday. "We see joining Google as a way to supersize our vision and supercharge our passion," his note reads.
Using computer vision and machine learning technology, Like.com provides a visual search engine focused on shoes, clothes, jewelry and decor, according to the company.
"We've developed technology that lets us understand visually what terms like 'red high-heeled pumps' and 'floral patterned sleeveless dress' mean and created algorithms to understand whether those pumps complement or clash with that dress," reads a company description.
Like.com also owns Covet.com, described as a online personal shopper for fashion products, and virtual fashion studio Couturious.com.
Shah didn't mention any of the deal's financial details in his note.
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts