IDG News Service - Google has acquired Like.com, which offers a visual search engine for retail products, a deal aimed at boosting Google's shopping search capabilities and services like its Products engine.
The acquistion comes years after the first rumors emerged that Google was interested in buying Like.com, which was initially known as Riya when the company was founded in 2004.
Like.com CEO and co-founder Munjal Shah announced the deal on his company's home page on Friday. "We see joining Google as a way to supersize our vision and supercharge our passion," his note reads.
Using computer vision and machine learning technology, Like.com provides a visual search engine focused on shoes, clothes, jewelry and decor, according to the company.
"We've developed technology that lets us understand visually what terms like 'red high-heeled pumps' and 'floral patterned sleeveless dress' mean and created algorithms to understand whether those pumps complement or clash with that dress," reads a company description.
Like.com also owns Covet.com, described as a online personal shopper for fashion products, and virtual fashion studio Couturious.com.
Shah didn't mention any of the deal's financial details in his note.
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Hedge Your Bets This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Alert Logic: Leader in Forrester Wave evaluation of emerging MSSPs In this paper Forrester shares the results of their 15-criteria evaluation of the top ten emerging players in the MSSP market.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Network Circulation Improve Network Circulation -- increase efficiency, reduce latency and enhance user experience on both wired and wireless networks with a network optimization solution...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts