IT execs release guidebook on e-health records implementation
Nearly 170 technologists offered their insights for the guidebook
Computerworld - The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) on Friday released a guidebook to help health care CIOs with the implementation of electronic health records (EHR) so they can meet the government's so called "meaningful use" standards in order to qualify for reimbursement funds.
The publication, The CIO's Guide to Implementing EHRs in the HITECH Era, includes best practices and steps health care organizations should take to successfully implement EHRs, from the initial planning stages through the final documentation of results.
The 80-page guidebook is available at no charge to the public and can be found at the CHIME Web site (download PDF).
According to CHIME, almost 170 of its members were involved in compiling the information included in the guidebook. They offered information gleaned from their own experiences in planning and implementing EHRs.
"As the nation's leading professional organization for health care IT executives, we felt it was important to gather the collective wisdom of our members and produce a guide that could help the nation's providers through the next few years," said Timothy Stettheimer, president of the CHIME board of directors.
CHIME said the guidebook came out of an earlier collaborative effort it had undertaken with the American Hospital Association. The two groups worked together to create the Healthcare Leader Action Guide on Implementing Electronic Health Records (download PDF).
CHIME said the new guide is a companion piece that focuses on the challenges facing CIOs and senior health care IT leaders.
"The guide provides just a sample of the experience that CHIME's members have in implementing these complex systems," Stettheimer added. "CHIME offers a variety of professional and educational support to its members, which is crucial to IT executives embarking on the EHR journey."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple has assembled an all-star team featuring some of the world's most proficient and well-connected biosensor engineers. Is this extensive investment entirely dedicated to an iPhone app called Healthbook and an accessory called an iWatch?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts