IT execs release guidebook on e-health records implementation
Nearly 170 technologists offered their insights for the guidebook
Computerworld - The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) on Friday released a guidebook to help health care CIOs with the implementation of electronic health records (EHR) so they can meet the government's so called "meaningful use" standards in order to qualify for reimbursement funds.
The publication, The CIO's Guide to Implementing EHRs in the HITECH Era, includes best practices and steps health care organizations should take to successfully implement EHRs, from the initial planning stages through the final documentation of results.
The 80-page guidebook is available at no charge to the public and can be found at the CHIME Web site (download PDF).
According to CHIME, almost 170 of its members were involved in compiling the information included in the guidebook. They offered information gleaned from their own experiences in planning and implementing EHRs.
"As the nation's leading professional organization for health care IT executives, we felt it was important to gather the collective wisdom of our members and produce a guide that could help the nation's providers through the next few years," said Timothy Stettheimer, president of the CHIME board of directors.
CHIME said the guidebook came out of an earlier collaborative effort it had undertaken with the American Hospital Association. The two groups worked together to create the Healthcare Leader Action Guide on Implementing Electronic Health Records (download PDF).
CHIME said the new guide is a companion piece that focuses on the challenges facing CIOs and senior health care IT leaders.
"The guide provides just a sample of the experience that CHIME's members have in implementing these complex systems," Stettheimer added. "CHIME offers a variety of professional and educational support to its members, which is crucial to IT executives embarking on the EHR journey."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
While it may seem a contradiction in terms, digital automation tools may make possible a new level of personalization in medical care.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts