IT execs release guidebook on e-health records implementation
Nearly 170 technologists offered their insights for the guidebook
Computerworld - The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) on Friday released a guidebook to help health care CIOs with the implementation of electronic health records (EHR) so they can meet the government's so called "meaningful use" standards in order to qualify for reimbursement funds.
The publication, The CIO's Guide to Implementing EHRs in the HITECH Era, includes best practices and steps health care organizations should take to successfully implement EHRs, from the initial planning stages through the final documentation of results.
The 80-page guidebook is available at no charge to the public and can be found at the CHIME Web site (download PDF).
According to CHIME, almost 170 of its members were involved in compiling the information included in the guidebook. They offered information gleaned from their own experiences in planning and implementing EHRs.
"As the nation's leading professional organization for health care IT executives, we felt it was important to gather the collective wisdom of our members and produce a guide that could help the nation's providers through the next few years," said Timothy Stettheimer, president of the CHIME board of directors.
CHIME said the guidebook came out of an earlier collaborative effort it had undertaken with the American Hospital Association. The two groups worked together to create the Healthcare Leader Action Guide on Implementing Electronic Health Records (download PDF).
CHIME said the new guide is a companion piece that focuses on the challenges facing CIOs and senior health care IT leaders.
"The guide provides just a sample of the experience that CHIME's members have in implementing these complex systems," Stettheimer added. "CHIME offers a variety of professional and educational support to its members, which is crucial to IT executives embarking on the EHR journey."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple does more to ensure its solutions are accessible to a wide range of users than any other platform, in spite of any drivel suggesting otherwise.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts