IT execs release guidebook on e-health records implementation
Nearly 170 technologists offered their insights for the guidebook
Computerworld - The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) on Friday released a guidebook to help health care CIOs with the implementation of electronic health records (EHR) so they can meet the government's so called "meaningful use" standards in order to qualify for reimbursement funds.
The publication, The CIO's Guide to Implementing EHRs in the HITECH Era, includes best practices and steps health care organizations should take to successfully implement EHRs, from the initial planning stages through the final documentation of results.
The 80-page guidebook is available at no charge to the public and can be found at the CHIME Web site (download PDF).
According to CHIME, almost 170 of its members were involved in compiling the information included in the guidebook. They offered information gleaned from their own experiences in planning and implementing EHRs.
"As the nation's leading professional organization for health care IT executives, we felt it was important to gather the collective wisdom of our members and produce a guide that could help the nation's providers through the next few years," said Timothy Stettheimer, president of the CHIME board of directors.
CHIME said the guidebook came out of an earlier collaborative effort it had undertaken with the American Hospital Association. The two groups worked together to create the Healthcare Leader Action Guide on Implementing Electronic Health Records (download PDF).
CHIME said the new guide is a companion piece that focuses on the challenges facing CIOs and senior health care IT leaders.
"The guide provides just a sample of the experience that CHIME's members have in implementing these complex systems," Stettheimer added. "CHIME offers a variety of professional and educational support to its members, which is crucial to IT executives embarking on the EHR journey."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Apple continues work on iOS 8, but its latest developer release underlines the importance of new sensor technologies as it pulls together a private and secure mobile foundation to support the digital health industry.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary
- This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- Selecting Foundational Controls Makes HIPAA Compliance Easier
- In this Dell Software white paper, learn more about HIPAA and IT security compliance - straight from an auditor - and discover how...
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts