PC World - Reader Todd says that every time he shuts down his Windows XP-powered desktop, it "hangs" on the shutdown screen, forcing him to hold down the power button until the machine actually turns off.
Sorry, Todd: I can't help you. Truth be told, my Windows 7 system has the same problem, though it happens only sporadically, not every time. I've searched high and low for a solution, and there doesn't seem to be one.
For me, at least. For you, I recommend perusing the Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting page, which is chock full of common shutdown-related issues and potential solutions.
So many, in fact, that you'll understand why I don't have an easy answer for you: there are just too many variables, too many possibilities. It could be a hardware issue, a rogue app, a glitchy driver, and on and on.
But this page is pretty comprehensive, so at the very least it should give you some remedies to try. Good luck!
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve...
- Improve care delivery and performance MEDHOST YourCareCommunity is built on prevailing industry standards, making it vendor-agnostic, and as an SaaS-based solution, no hardware or software needs to be...
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts. All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.