PC World - Reader Todd says that every time he shuts down his Windows XP-powered desktop, it "hangs" on the shutdown screen, forcing him to hold down the power button until the machine actually turns off.
Sorry, Todd: I can't help you. Truth be told, my Windows 7 system has the same problem, though it happens only sporadically, not every time. I've searched high and low for a solution, and there doesn't seem to be one.
For me, at least. For you, I recommend perusing the Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting page, which is chock full of common shutdown-related issues and potential solutions.
So many, in fact, that you'll understand why I don't have an easy answer for you: there are just too many variables, too many possibilities. It could be a hardware issue, a rogue app, a glitchy driver, and on and on.
But this page is pretty comprehensive, so at the very least it should give you some remedies to try. Good luck!
- 7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration OS migration is typically time-consuming and expensive. To make your next migration easy, follow these six recommendations when planning your project.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts