Yahoo grabs search share from Google
As Google trips slightly, second-place Yahoo is there to pick up its lost share
Google, long the heavily dominant player in the search market, captured 65.8% of the market in July, according to comScore, a market research company. However, the search engine giant slipped a little last month, dipping 0.4% from 66.2% in June.
Where did that 0.4% share go? Google can look to Yahoo for that.
The second-place search engine grabbed Google's lost share and took its U.S. search share from 16.7% in June to 17.1% in July.
Microsoft Bing has been steadily in third place since it was released a little more than a year ago, and it retains that spot with an 11% share -- the same amount it had in June.
Bing had better luck between May and June.
A June report from comScore noted that Bing showed more growth than rival Google, compared with the previous month. Bing, which had its first anniversary in late May, saw its search share in the U.S. market inch up from 12.1% in May to 12.7% in June.
In that same May-to-June period, Google lost a little ground, with its search share dipping from 63.7% in May to 62.6% in June.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts