IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard said on Tuesday it will buy Fortify Software, which makes tools to find software vulnerabilities and compliance software, for an undisclosed amount.
Fortify Software, a privately held company in San Mateo, California, specializes in software that looks for problems within code that could result in software vulnerabilities, which could then be exploited by an attacker, causing problems such as a data breach.
HP said that Fortify's expertise in static application security analysis will complement its dynamic application security analysis. Static application security testing can uncover vulnerabilities during the development or quality assurance stage of a project, according to Fortify's Web site. Dynamic application security testing finds vulnerabilities in an application that is actively being used and assesses the application's overall security.
Fortify's products include 360, used for finding and fixing vulnerabilities, and Fortify On Demand, where a company can upload binaries to Fortify's data center for analysis.
HP and Fortify said they have collaborated before, working on a technology called Hybrid 2.0 that followed earlier work in June 2009. HP said the acquisition will allow customers to build "scalable enterprise application security programs."
When the acquisition closes, HP said it will run Fortify as a stand-alone entity and then integrate it over time into its HP Software and Solutions business. Fortify's products will become part of HP's Business Technology Optimization application portfolio.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Gartner Report: A Guide to Gartner's Enterprise Mobile Security Self-Assessment Gartner introduces a model and a Toolkit intended to help mobility and security IT leaders assess their enterprise mobility programs from a security...
- Gartner Report: Containing Mobile Security Risks With the 80/20 Rule IT planners can deliver better mobile protection with higher user satisfaction by segmenting users into risk groups before committing to specific management or...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts