IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard said on Tuesday it will buy Fortify Software, which makes tools to find software vulnerabilities and compliance software, for an undisclosed amount.
Fortify Software, a privately held company in San Mateo, California, specializes in software that looks for problems within code that could result in software vulnerabilities, which could then be exploited by an attacker, causing problems such as a data breach.
HP said that Fortify's expertise in static application security analysis will complement its dynamic application security analysis. Static application security testing can uncover vulnerabilities during the development or quality assurance stage of a project, according to Fortify's Web site. Dynamic application security testing finds vulnerabilities in an application that is actively being used and assesses the application's overall security.
Fortify's products include 360, used for finding and fixing vulnerabilities, and Fortify On Demand, where a company can upload binaries to Fortify's data center for analysis.
HP and Fortify said they have collaborated before, working on a technology called Hybrid 2.0 that followed earlier work in June 2009. HP said the acquisition will allow customers to build "scalable enterprise application security programs."
When the acquisition closes, HP said it will run Fortify as a stand-alone entity and then integrate it over time into its HP Software and Solutions business. Fortify's products will become part of HP's Business Technology Optimization application portfolio.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- BYOA: Embracing the Opportunity, Controlling the Risk This whitepaper explores the shift from BYOD to BYOA (bring-your-own-application) and how IT departments today can address this new change in the IT...
- Learn More About Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-ready, creating a perfect point of adoption whether you need an off-premise solution for development
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!