Summer of Android: Top 5 iPhone rivals
Here's a visual tour of five top-of-the-line Android smartphones that give the iPhone 4 a run for its money.
Computerworld - In the world of smartphones, two distinct camps have started to form. On the one side, you have the infamous Apple devotees. These folks like having a simple, neat and tightly controlled user experience; they like what Steve Jobs hands them, and they're OK with doing things the Apple way.
On the other side, you have the rapidly growing Android army. These users don't want to be locked into one phone, one design or one set of options. They appreciate being able to pick a mobile device that suits their needs -- and then being able to use it the way they want, installing the programs they choose and customizing the phone as they see fit.
It's no surprise that more and more people are opting for the latter approach -- after all, who wants to pay good money for a piece of technology only to be restricted in how you can use it? The numbers speak volumes: A report released this week finds Android has officially become the top-selling smartphone platform in America, surpassing Apple in terms of global sales as well. Even the launch of the iPhone 4 (and Apple's accompanying attack-based antenna defense) has done little to dampen Android's momentum.
Still, thanks to the wide range of choices, getting started with Android can be a bit overwhelming. That's why we've created this visual guide to the five finest Android phones you can find this summer. The devices are all top-of-the-line, and they all do everything an iPhone does and more. If you're looking for an alternative to Apple's grasp, these are some of the best bets around.
Remember: Letting go of Steve's hand may be scary, but it's also empowering. If you're ready to make the leap, read on -- and get ready to take back control.
1. Motorola Droid X
If you want a rugged and powerful phone with all the bells and whistles, Motorola's Droid X is a tough option to turn down. The Droid X boasts a 4.3-inch display and packs a superspeedy 1-GHz processor.
Available through Verizon Wireless; $199.99 with a two-year contract. (Smart shopper note: Also available for $149.99, with contract, from LetsTalk.com.)
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts