IDG News Service - Toshiba on Tuesday introduced a new hard drive feature that can wipe out data after the storage devices are powered down.
The Wipe feature in Toshiba's SED (Self-Encrypting Drives) will allow for deletion of secure data prior to disposing or repurposing hard drives, Toshiba said in a statement. This feature prevents secure data from getting lost or stolen.
The technology revolves around invalidating a hard-drive security key when a system's power supply is turned off.
The first SED drive hard drive was announced in July. The new Wipe capability will go into future versions of the drives, according to the company, which did not provide a timeframe. Drives with the technology will go into hard drives for laptops and desktops. Beyond PCs, Toshiba wants to put this feature on storage devices in copiers and printers, which handle secure documents in digital imaging environments.
The new feature adds a level of convenience to the process of wiping data from hard drives. Today data can be wiped using data-removal software like Eraser, and systems have to keep running as the data is being erased. Depending on the method used and a drive's storage size, erasing data can take hours.
The Wipe feature is based on the Trusted Computing Group "Opal" storage specification, which allows users to protect stored against theft or loss. The hard drives will have hardware modules that enable the Wipe feature.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts