IDG News Service - BlackBerry data services can continue in Saudi Arabia after Research in Motion agreed to monitoring of e-mail and instant messaging data services, an official of the country's regulator, Communications and Information Technology Commission, (CITC) said on Tuesday.
RIM has agreed to place some of its communication servers in the country, said the official on condition of anonymity.
In a statement, CITC said it had decided to allow BlackBerry Messenger, RIM's instant messaging service, as part of the regulatory requirements had been met. Other regulatory requirements have not been met by operators, but CITC's statement did not specifically say which ones.
Etihad Etisalat, which uses the brand name Mobily, Saudi Telecom Company (STC), and Zain Saudi Arabia are the three operators in the country that offer BlackBerry services.
A RIM spokesman based in India said the company did not have a comment on the Saudi Arabia arrangement.
The CITC said last week that it would suspend BlackBerry services in the country on Friday, as it violated regulations. It subsequently provided an extension to operators until end of Monday to test out the solutions they were working on with RIM. The deadline passed without a cut in service, according to reports.
In his daily press briefing on Monday, Philip J. Crowley, assistant secretary at the U.S. Department of State, said that there had been a report of "at least an agreement between RIM and Saudi Arabia".
The U.S. Department of State said last week that it is in touch with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and other governments to better understand their concerns and plans on the BlackBerry service. The UAE also said last week that it would suspend BlackBerry services from Oct. 11 unless RIM located servers in the country that can be monitored.
An agreement between RIM and Saudi Arabia is likely to have ramifications in other countries that are analyzing RIM's service, including India, Indonesia and Lebanon, which want to monitor BlackBerry communications, said Matthew Reed, an analyst with Informa Telecoms & Media.
Imad Hoballah, acting chairman and CEO of Lebanon's Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) said last week his agency is analyzing encrypted data sources to find ways that security agencies can get access to data when needed.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Overview video from DJ Long about the new Vblock Specialized System for SAP HANA®.
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.