IDG News Service - SAP said it would accept liability for some claims made by Oracle in a suit that alleges theft of trade secrets, but SAP will continue to fight what it called Oracle's "vastly exaggerated" claim for billions of dollars in damages.
The development comes about three months before the two sides are due to go to trial, in a case Oracle filed more than three years ago over the alleged conduct of SAP's TomorrowNow subsidiary.
TomorrowNow provided maintenance services for customers of Oracle's PeopleSoft and J.D. Edwards software, and Oracle accused the company of downloading software patches and other materials illegally from its customer support website.
SAP acknowledged almost from the start that TomorrowNow made "mistakes" and has since shut down the division, which it acquired in 2005. On Thursday, SAP said it would accept liability for Oracle's claims of copyright infringement and illegal downloading, if Oracle in turn agreed to dismiss other claims.
But SAP will continue to argue that Oracle's damages claims are unreasonable. Oracle is seeking "billions in damages," while "their true damages measure in the tens of millions at most," SAP said in its pretrial brief filed Thursday.
"SAP recognizes not only that TomorrowNow made mistakes but that plaintiffs are entitled to compensation, for which SAP will accept ultimate financial responsibility. That compensation must be based in reality and the law, however," the company's lawyers wrote.
SAP also wants the trial shortened to two weeks, from the six weeks currently scheduled.
Oracle could not immediately be reached for comment.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts