Android tops in Q2 smartphone shipments, researcher says
IDG News Service - Android took the top U.S. spot among smartphones shipped in the second quarter, according to new research from Canalys.
Android devices made up a 34% share of phones shipped in the U.S. market in the quarter, followed by Research In Motion at 32.1% and Apple with 21.7%, Canalys found.
That means Android had a huge 851% growth rate over the previous year in the U.S. That's largely because a year earlier there were few models of Android phones available.
Canalys also said that the U.S. is the largest smartphone market in the world by a big margin, with 14.7 million phones shipped in the quarter, accounting for 23% of global shipments.
Nokia continues to maintain the lead on a worldwide basis, with 38% market share in the quarter. It accounted for 76.9% of smartphones in China, the second largest smartphone market in the world, followed by Motorola with a 4.7% share there, Canalys said.
Still, the researchers see a potential for Android growth there too. Nearly 475,000 Android phones were sold in China in the second quarter, up from almost none last year, Canalys said. Also, China Mobile continues to develop its own platform based on Android and sold an additional 174,000 phones in the quarter based on that platform, Canalys said.
Overall, the smartphone market grew by 64% worldwide in the quarter. RIM phones grew by 41% and Apple's iPhone shipments grew 61%. Apple had a worldwide smartphone market share of 13% during the period, Canalys found.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts