Pancetera unveils virtual storage software
It claims Pancetera Unite can reduce up to 80% of virtual server traffic for backups
Computerworld - A new company founded by former executives from data deduplication vendor Data Domain today announced they've emerged from development with a new product aimed at simplifying the management of backups in virtual server environments.
Pancetera Software Inc., founded two years ago, unveiled its first product, Pancetera Unite, a virtual appliance that can manage backups across an limitless virtual server environment, relieving sysadmins of the chore of deploying backup agents on virtual machines (VMs).
Pancetera Unite runs on a VM and creates backup export mount points along with a single mangement view of a virtual server backup environment, according to Bart Bartlett, vice president of marketing for the Santa Clara, Calif.-based company. It runs regardless of the backend storage type, be it network-attached storage (NAS) or a storage area network (SAN).
"This gives you a simplified view into your entire VMware storage infrastructure, independent of the underlying storage topology," Bartlett said.
Storage administrators are shown a directory that points to a synthetic file system that represents each of a server farm's hypervisors. The underlying files on those VMs are then exposed to the Unite software and can be backed up in part or as a whole. "You just back up the Unite mount point," Bartlett said.
Unite uses VMware's published APIs for block-level access to the VMware environment. The product has also been architected to extend into other hypervisor environments.
Logan Lemming, director of IT for California's El Dorado County Office of Education, said server virtualization had allowed his IT team to be more responsive, but it also "dropped an iron curtain" around his storage that kept them from interacting with VM file systems. He had been using what he called expensive and complex agent-based backup software.
"Pancetera Unite blows that whole paradigm away," he said in a statement. "With Pancetera Unite, my environment is unlocked again. I can interact directly with my virtual file system, determining when and how to backup my systems depending on my organization's needs, not which features I've licensed."
Pancetera Unite includes several features, such as SmartView, which provides a single, unified view of all virtual storage across hypervisors and data storage. The tool allows sysadmins to browse, move and copy VM files in a Windows explorer view of a single network drive the same way the contents of any Windows folder can be manipulated.
Pancetera's SmartRead is aimed at reducing storage I/O by eliminating unused blocks of data from the backup process.
"VMs are commonly oversubscribed," Bartlett said. "A lot of times, you'll have a 20GB virtual machine disk that might only have 4GB of in-use data that a Windows file system is using. We actually just read the 4GB and ... clean up the rest of the file.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts