Pancetera unveils virtual storage software
It claims Pancetera Unite can reduce up to 80% of virtual server traffic for backups
Computerworld - A new company founded by former executives from data deduplication vendor Data Domain today announced they've emerged from development with a new product aimed at simplifying the management of backups in virtual server environments.
Pancetera Software Inc., founded two years ago, unveiled its first product, Pancetera Unite, a virtual appliance that can manage backups across an limitless virtual server environment, relieving sysadmins of the chore of deploying backup agents on virtual machines (VMs).
Pancetera Unite runs on a VM and creates backup export mount points along with a single mangement view of a virtual server backup environment, according to Bart Bartlett, vice president of marketing for the Santa Clara, Calif.-based company. It runs regardless of the backend storage type, be it network-attached storage (NAS) or a storage area network (SAN).
"This gives you a simplified view into your entire VMware storage infrastructure, independent of the underlying storage topology," Bartlett said.
Storage administrators are shown a directory that points to a synthetic file system that represents each of a server farm's hypervisors. The underlying files on those VMs are then exposed to the Unite software and can be backed up in part or as a whole. "You just back up the Unite mount point," Bartlett said.
Unite uses VMware's published APIs for block-level access to the VMware environment. The product has also been architected to extend into other hypervisor environments.
Logan Lemming, director of IT for California's El Dorado County Office of Education, said server virtualization had allowed his IT team to be more responsive, but it also "dropped an iron curtain" around his storage that kept them from interacting with VM file systems. He had been using what he called expensive and complex agent-based backup software.
"Pancetera Unite blows that whole paradigm away," he said in a statement. "With Pancetera Unite, my environment is unlocked again. I can interact directly with my virtual file system, determining when and how to backup my systems depending on my organization's needs, not which features I've licensed."
Pancetera Unite includes several features, such as SmartView, which provides a single, unified view of all virtual storage across hypervisors and data storage. The tool allows sysadmins to browse, move and copy VM files in a Windows explorer view of a single network drive the same way the contents of any Windows folder can be manipulated.
Pancetera's SmartRead is aimed at reducing storage I/O by eliminating unused blocks of data from the backup process.
"VMs are commonly oversubscribed," Bartlett said. "A lot of times, you'll have a 20GB virtual machine disk that might only have 4GB of in-use data that a Windows file system is using. We actually just read the 4GB and ... clean up the rest of the file.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts