Nintendo product news coming in Sept., 3DS details likely
IDG News Service - Nintendo will announce details of a new product on Sept. 29, it said Thursday. The tight-lipped company wouldn't provide any more details, but with its 3DS handheld due to be launched in the coming months the chances are high it will be detailing launch and price details for the highly-anticipated product.
Nintendo has made major product announcements around late September in previous years. In 2009 it was plans for Japanese launch of the DS LL, in 2008 it was the DS-i, and in 2006 it was the Wii.
The 3DS was first announced in March this year as the next model in the DS series. The dual-screen gaming device was first launched in 2004 and the upcoming 3DS will be the first in the family to feature a display that provides the illusion of 3D.
The 3D screen on the handheld has a filter in front of the display panel that splits the on-screen image and sends a slightly different image towards the user's right and left eyes. With the filter on the screen, the user isn't required to wear 3D glasses.
Development of the 3DS is at an advanced stage and working prototypes of the device were recently shown at the E3 gaming show in Los Angeles. They received positive reviews from many who had a chance to try them out.
News of the upcoming announcement came shortly after Kyoto-based Nintendo reported financial results for the April to June period.
The company said sales of the DS had dropped by almost half because of a lack of new software titles.
Nintendo is hoping the 3DS and a new range of 3D-capable games will capture the imagination of gamers and drive sales of the handheld in the future.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts