IDG News Service - Slovenian police will hold a press conference on Friday to discuss the arrest of three men in connection the massive Mariposa botnet that was disabled late last year.
A 23-year-old man was arrested in Maribor, Slovenia, about 10 days ago, said Leon Keder, press officer for the Slovenian National Police. He has been released but is expected to be charged with computer-related crimes, Keder said. The U.S. Federal of Bureau of Investigation confirmed the arrest on Wednesday morning.
Two others were also arrested. Their names can't be released due to restrictions under Slovenian law, Keder said.
Millions of computers worldwide were infected with the Mariposa botnet code, which allowed hackers to siphon information from those machines and launch denial-of-service attacks against others.
FBI Director Robert S. Mueller said in March that Mariposa had infected the computers of Fortune 1000 companies and major banks. Mariposa's authors changed the botnet's code as frequently as every 48 hours in order to go undetected by security software.
But Mariposa's controllers made a mistake and used one of their real names to register domains that were used to control the bots. Although they used a private domain name registrar, the company cooperated with investigators.
Security researchers formed the Mariposa Working Group in order to take down the botnet. Its command-and-control servers were disabled in December, and the group passed information to law enforcement agencies in Spain and the U.S. In March, Spain arrested three men in connection with Mariposa.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers
- Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services
- Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud
- This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America
- Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market All Government IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Government IT Webcasts