No Dell Streak sale in July, spokesman says
Company catches Web mistake on Streak pre-sale offer
Computerworld - The 5-inch Dell Streak tablet won't go on sale by the end of July, a spokesman said late Tuesday. That announcement came after Dell earlier in the day mistakenly posted an online message on its Web site that customers could return to the site Wednesday to purchase the device.
"It was a mistake, and we took that information down this morning," said spokesman Matt Parretta in a telephone interview. "I can say definitely that the Dell Streak won't go on sale in July."
Parretta noted that Dell said in May that the device would go on sale sometime this summer.
Androidpolice and other Web sites caught the message posted in error today, and then later said customers who signed up for a pre-sale offer could expect an e-mail today with a link to purchase a new phone for $299 with a new AT&T contract.
Dell and AT&T would not confirm that pricing, although Dell has said the device will run on a GSM network in the U.S. and has ruled out the only other GSM carrier, T-Mobile USA.
Parretta's statement that the Streak won't go on sale in July contradicts an FAQ still on the Dell site as of late Tuesday that accompanies the pre-sale registration form.
In the FAQ, the question is asked, "When will the Dell Streak be available for purchase?" And the answer given is: "The Dell Streak will be available for purchase in late July!"
Parretta said he was not aware of the statement, adding, "I've never said that."
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!