Apple enjoys a solid Q3 on strong iPad, iPhone sales
It reported revenue of $15.7B as IPhone, Mac sales grew
The company in the quarter released the iPhone 4, which CEO Steve Jobs characterized as the most successful product launch in the company's history. Apple also launched the iPad during the third quarter, with shipments totaling 3.27 million units.
Apple reported revenue of $15.7 billion for the quarter ended June 27, up from the $9.7 billion in revenue for the third quarter last year. The revenue also beat estimates of $14.74 billion from analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
The company reported net income of $3.25 billion for the third quarter, an increase from $1.83 billion the company reported in the year-ago quarter. The company reported diluted earnings per share of $3.51, beating analyst estimates of $3.11.
"IPad is off to a terrific start, more people are buying Macs than ever before, and we have amazing new products still to come this year," Jobs said.
Mac computer shipments were 3.47 million, a 33% year-over-year increase. Apple sold 8.4 million iPhones during the quarter, a 61% year-over-year growth. iPod shipments, however, fell by 8% to 9.41 million units.
The company is projecting revenue of about $18 billion and earnings per share of about $3.44 for the fourth fiscal quarter.
The iPhone 4 launched on June 24 in five countries. The smartphone received praise initially, but users soon started complaining about reception issues, with signal strength dropping significantly if the phone was held in a way that covers the wireless antenna. Apple on Friday addressed the controversy, saying it would offer free bumper cases until the end of September to alleviate customer concerns about signal and reception issues. The company is also offering a full iPhone 4 refund within 30 days of purchase for unsatisfied customers.
The iPad is expected to remain a strong product for the company as it faces very little competition in the tablet space. Market research firm iSuppli on Tuesday said it expects iPad shipments to touch 12.9 million units in calendar 2010, an increase from the previous forecast of 7.1 million units.
- Trade-in volume signals 'tremendous' sales for iPhone 6
- Carmakers put Apple's CarPlay in the slow lane
- Apple updates OS X Yosemite public beta
- Even rivals are waiting for Apple to get into wearables
- Apple preps final non-security Mavericks update
- New Yosemite dev preview may herald public beta update later this week
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts