OpenSolaris Governing Board may dissolve
IDG News Service - Frustrated by what they consider poor treatment and lack of interest from Oracle, members of the OpenSolaris Governing Board are essentially delivering an ultimatum to the vendor, asking that it appoint a liaison to the group by Aug. 16, or the board will be disbanded.
The Oracle executive should have "the authority to talk about the future of OpenSolaris and its interaction with the OpenSolaris community," according to minutes of the board's meeting, held Monday. "Otherwise the OGB will take action at the August 23 meeting to trigger the clause in the OGB charter that will return control of the community to Oracle."
OpenSolaris is the open-source distribution of the Unix-based Solaris operating system Oracle acquired through its purchase of Sun Microsystems.
Community members work on code for OpenSolaris, but Oracle retains control over what is ultimately included in its official distribution. Board members have been upset with the lack of communication from Oracle over the timing of future releases, among other matters.
Some users have even suggested it might be wise to create an offshoot or "fork" of the codebase.
But not every OpenSolaris advocate believes disbanding the governing board is the right move.
"Frankly, IMHO, this is just the OGB throwing its hands in the air," wrote Ben Rockwood in a blog post. "The body has been useless for a long time, but only because it has chosen to be. ... It's never lead anything, and it isn't now."
"But the fact that it's a wet rag doesn't mean we should simply throw in the towel," he added. "A weak seat of power is better than no seat at the table."
An Oracle spokeswoman could not immediately provide comment Wednesday.
- Tablet, Laptop, or Desktop - Form (Factor) Follows Function Desktops, laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets, convertibles, and all-in-ones; suddenly hardware decisions seem a lot more complicated. To take advantage of these benefits, the savviest...
- The IT handbook for Windows 7 and Windows 8 migrations A comprehensive guide for IT departments making the switch from legacy versions of Microsoft Windows to Windows 7 and Windows 8. To date,...
- 7 Reasons Why Windows 8 is the Future Touch, cloud, BYOD and IT consumerization dominate the mindshare of IT managers. Windows 8 enters the scene with a host of features that...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts