IDG News Service - Microsoft has expanded the beta of its Intune hosted desktop-computer management service, the company announced on Monday during the kickoff of its Worldwide Partners Conference (WPC), being held this week in Washington, D.C.
The company will open the service to an additional 10,000 users, as well as extend its availability to a number of additional countries beyond the U.S., including France, Germany and Spain, said Alex Heaton, group product manager for Windows Intune.
When it comes to thinking about Microsoft's cloud strategy, Azure usually springs to mind. But Intune, which is more modest in scope, may provide the company with an earlier success story, if the popularity of its first beta is any indication.
The launch "exceeded our expectations," Heaton said.
Designed for midsized organizations with limited IT help, Intune provides an Internet-accessible console from which all of an organization's computers can be managed, even if the computers themselves reside in different offices.
Microsoft hosts the console on its own servers. From this console, an administrator can apply Windows updates and patches, monitor PCs, manage security policies, keep inventory of PCs and remotely administer an ailing PC. Microsoft will queue the updates, as well as manage all the back-end server software needed for administration duties.
The company plans to make Intune generally available in early 2011.
Pricing for Intune will run US$11 per seat, per month. For an extra dollar a month, the customer can also use the Microsoft desktop Optimization Pack, which provides tools for such tasks as on-site troubleshooting and managing group policies.
Microsoft chose to launch the second beta during WPC for several reasons, Heaton explained. For this conference, Microsoft wanted to emphasize its cloud computing initiatives, and the Intune service fell squarely in that category.
Secondly, Microsoft partners that do seat management for small and midsized organizations have shown a lot of interest in using Intune, Heaton said. An integrator or service support company can use Intune to manage their clients' computers. With this in mind, Microsoft has configured Intune so it can be used to manage multiple customers from a single console.
This second beta phase will be limited to customers and partners located in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain, the U.K. and Italy. In the beta phase, the offer will be limited to cover five to 25 seats.
Microsoft WPC 2010
- Cloud tools give Microsoft partners a jump-start
- Microsoft exec mocks iPhone 4, dubs it Apple's Vista
- Windows Live to integrate WP7 phones, PCs, Xbox in the cloud
- Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020
- Microsoft releases WP7 tools beta; preview phones coming next week
- Muglia offers details on Microsoft Azure Appliance
- Microsoft releases Windows 7 SP1 beta
- Ballmer promises partners Windows tablets, phones
- Microsoft expands Intune beta to 10,000 more users
- Fast, Secure Apps for Remote Engineers Freescale Semiconductor, a global semiconductor manufacturer with 17,000 employees, needed to provide secure, "in the office" application performance for its globally distributed engineers.
- Countering Cyber Threats By Modeling "Normal" Website Behavior Check out this informative technology dossier to explore the ins and outs of using big data analysis and web-user profiling to protect your...
- Vblock™ Systems Enable Operational Excellence & the Birth of a New Business After a successful acquisition and growth phase, Rompetrol turned its energy into improving global operations by consolidating IT operations and launching a series...
- Seagate Case Study Seagate Technology has successfully managed risks associated with transitioning mission-critical email service from internal platform to a third-party cloud, and has achieved numerous...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.