IDG News Service - Patent holding company NTP, which received a $612.5 million settlement from BlackBerry maker Research In Motion in a patent infringement case, has filed patent lawsuits against six makers of smartphones or related software, including Apple and Google.
NTP, based in Richmond, Virginia, also filed patent lawsuits Thursday against Microsoft, LG Electronics, HTC and Motorola in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the company announced Friday.
NTP accused the six companies of violating eight patents related to the delivery of e-mail over wireless communications systems.
"Use of NTP's intellectual property without a license is just plain unfair to NTP and its licensees," Donald Stout, NTP's co-founder, said in a statement. "Unfortunately, litigation is our only means of ensuring the inventor of the fundamental technology on which wireless email is based, Tom Campana, and NTP shareholders are recognized, and are fairly and reasonably compensated for their innovative work and investment."
In addition to RIM, NTP has licensing agreements with Good Technology, Nokia and Visto, the company said in a press release.
Representatives of HTC and Motorola had no comment on the lawsuits. Representatives of the other four companies facing lawsuits didn't have immediate comments or didn't immediately respond to a request for comments.
NTP has sued several other companies for patent infringement, including Verizon Communications, AT&T and Sprint Nextel in 2007.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantusG. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Move Mission-Critical Apps to the Cloud with AWS and F5
- Read this paper to learn about adoption inhibitors of the cloud, potential solutions, and how advanced Application Delivery Controller (ADC) technologies are critical...
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service
- The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013
- The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data
- The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of... All Government IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Government IT Webcasts