IDG News Service - The U.S. National Security Agency is building a system that would help detect cyber-attacks on critical U.S. infrastructure, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal that cites unnamed sources.
The system would monitor both private U.S. companies and government agencies that operate infrastructure such as electricity grids and nuclear power plants, the story reports. It would use sensors placed in computer networks that would be triggered by activity signaling a cyber-attack.
The story says that Raytheon has won a contract for the first phase of the project that is worth $100 million.
The NSA declined to comment on the report. Raytheon did not reply to a request for comment about the reported system. Neither commented publicly in the Wall Street Journal article.
The U.S. government is increasingly aware and wary of intrusions from overseas into public and private networks, particularly for the purpose of espionage. A report commissioned by a congressional advisory panel and released last year found that China is probably spying on U.S. companies and the government. The report found that at least 10 to 20 terabytes of sensitive data had been taken from U.S. government networks as part of a long-term campaign.
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!