IDG News Service - Oracle's claims about its Exadata database machine's performance capabilities are merited, but in order to get the benefits, customers have to do more than flip a switch, according to a customer and consultant who are working with the platform.
Pythian Group, a remote database administration firm in Ottawa, Ontario, is implementing Exadata at LinkShare, an affiliate marketing and lead-generation provider for e-commerce businesses.
Exadata is "a new kind of animal," said Paul Vallée, founder and executive chairman of Pythian Group. The systems combine servers, storage and database software into a unified system for both transaction processing and data warehousing.
Oracle has claimed customers will see tenfold increases in speed and data capacity. A key component is the "smart storage" software built into Exadata's storage servers, which moves query processing closer to data, reducing the amount of information that must pass through the system's interconnects.
"Oracle really did create a very innovative platform here," Vallée added. "[But] implementing it in real-life deployments is hard, and in some cases risky. A lot of companies don't have an operational team willing to take it on."
In addition, Oracle wanted to ensure that early deployments of the system were a hit, and therefore staffed those projects with its own engineers, he said. Embracing third-party servicers such as Pythian "is a statement of confidence in that they're having enough successful implementations."
LinkShare plans to have the Exadata system in production mode "pretty much any time now," said chief operating officer Jonathan Levine said. Customers will be migrated onto the platform over a period of weeks, he said.
The system is performing "in a lot of ways, better than we hoped," Levine said. "It does what Oracle told us it would do, which we were surprised about."
Despite the benefits Exadata will deliver for LinkShare, prospective customers need to keep a few things in mind, Levine said. "It's an appliance, but in the same way a ... sophisticated home audio system is an appliance. It's not a refrigerator or a printer."
To do the migration, Pythian Group had to perform an assortment of tasks, such as tweaking LinkShare's data model and rewriting SQL queries.
"This thing is a heavy lifter but you have to play to its strengths," Vallée said. A Pythian consultant has worked with LinkShare full time since January.
Exadata is sold in various configurations. LinkShare is running two half-racks in parallel. "The thinking is if we have a disaster at one data center, we'll have another available," he said. The company is currently managing about 6TB of data, a figure that grows "by a few hundred gigs a month," he said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts