IDG News Service - Worldwide chip sales for May reached an all-time high, growing by 47% compared to the same month last year, the Semiconductor Industry Association said in a study released today.
Semiconductor sales in May totaled $23.6 billion, compared with $16.7 billion last year, buoyed by strong sales of PCs, cell phones and automobiles, the SIA said.
The semiconductor industry makes components for sectors that include technology, automotive and medical industries. The growth comes after a depressed market and reduced demand for products slowed down semiconductor sales last year.
Consumer confidence is rising as economies recover from the recession and demand for semiconductors is robust, said George Scalise, president of SIA, in a statement.
The automotive market is slowly recovering after enduring several year of weak sales, while corporate IT and industrial demand is up as companies return to replacement cycles they had put off during the recession, he said.
Emerging markets such as China and India are driving sales of technology products, Scalise said.
Chip makers such as Samsung and Intel have benefited from the growing semiconductor sales. In April, Intel said it had record microprocessor sales during the first fiscal quarter, driven primarily by increased PC shipments.
The SIA is predicting semiconductor sales to total around $290.5 billion this year, growing by 28.4% compared to 2009.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!