IDG News Service - Worldwide chip sales for May reached an all-time high, growing by 47% compared to the same month last year, the Semiconductor Industry Association said in a study released today.
Semiconductor sales in May totaled $23.6 billion, compared with $16.7 billion last year, buoyed by strong sales of PCs, cell phones and automobiles, the SIA said.
The semiconductor industry makes components for sectors that include technology, automotive and medical industries. The growth comes after a depressed market and reduced demand for products slowed down semiconductor sales last year.
Consumer confidence is rising as economies recover from the recession and demand for semiconductors is robust, said George Scalise, president of SIA, in a statement.
The automotive market is slowly recovering after enduring several year of weak sales, while corporate IT and industrial demand is up as companies return to replacement cycles they had put off during the recession, he said.
Emerging markets such as China and India are driving sales of technology products, Scalise said.
Chip makers such as Samsung and Intel have benefited from the growing semiconductor sales. In April, Intel said it had record microprocessor sales during the first fiscal quarter, driven primarily by increased PC shipments.
The SIA is predicting semiconductor sales to total around $290.5 billion this year, growing by 28.4% compared to 2009.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts