IDG News Service - Worldwide chip sales for May reached an all-time high, growing by 47% compared to the same month last year, the Semiconductor Industry Association said in a study released today.
Semiconductor sales in May totaled $23.6 billion, compared with $16.7 billion last year, buoyed by strong sales of PCs, cell phones and automobiles, the SIA said.
The semiconductor industry makes components for sectors that include technology, automotive and medical industries. The growth comes after a depressed market and reduced demand for products slowed down semiconductor sales last year.
Consumer confidence is rising as economies recover from the recession and demand for semiconductors is robust, said George Scalise, president of SIA, in a statement.
The automotive market is slowly recovering after enduring several year of weak sales, while corporate IT and industrial demand is up as companies return to replacement cycles they had put off during the recession, he said.
Emerging markets such as China and India are driving sales of technology products, Scalise said.
Chip makers such as Samsung and Intel have benefited from the growing semiconductor sales. In April, Intel said it had record microprocessor sales during the first fiscal quarter, driven primarily by increased PC shipments.
The SIA is predicting semiconductor sales to total around $290.5 billion this year, growing by 28.4% compared to 2009.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts