Startup to offer support for Oracle-owned MySQL
'Core' staffers at SkySQL had worked at MySQL
IDG News Service - MySQL users now have another choice for support besides Oracle, which acquired the open-source database through its purchase of Sun Microsystems.
SkySQL plans to offer "enterprise class support & services for the MySQL ecosystem," according to its Web site. Its CEO is Ulf Sandberg, ex-senior vice president of global services at MySQL, and "all core members" of the company have also worked for MySQL.
The firm is now hiring in all areas, the site adds. Further information about its plans wasn't immediately available Friday.
SkySQL's formation earned a nod of approval from MySQL creator Michael "Monty" Widenius, who now runs Monty Program, a company focused on developing the MariaDB MySQL fork, as well as providing support for it and MySQL.
"I am happy to see that there is now another home for MySQL talent being formed where they can continue to do what they do best," Widenius wrote in a blog post Thursday. The trend will also ensure that "in spite of whatever happens with MySQL at Oracle, that there will continue to be high quality support and services around MySQL and MariaDB," he added.
Widenius and Monty Program don't have an active role in SkySQL, but the companies plan to partner, he said.
Concern from MySQL advocates such as Widenius prompted an extended review of the Oracle-Sun merger by European authorities. Widenius continued his advocacy Friday by filing an appeal of the now-completed deal in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
In order to assuage regulators' concerns, Oracle issued a series of public pledges concerning MySQL, including that customers would not be required to purchase support from Oracle if they buy commercial licenses of MySQL.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts