Startup to offer support for Oracle-owned MySQL
'Core' staffers at SkySQL had worked at MySQL
IDG News Service - MySQL users now have another choice for support besides Oracle, which acquired the open-source database through its purchase of Sun Microsystems.
SkySQL plans to offer "enterprise class support & services for the MySQL ecosystem," according to its Web site. Its CEO is Ulf Sandberg, ex-senior vice president of global services at MySQL, and "all core members" of the company have also worked for MySQL.
The firm is now hiring in all areas, the site adds. Further information about its plans wasn't immediately available Friday.
SkySQL's formation earned a nod of approval from MySQL creator Michael "Monty" Widenius, who now runs Monty Program, a company focused on developing the MariaDB MySQL fork, as well as providing support for it and MySQL.
"I am happy to see that there is now another home for MySQL talent being formed where they can continue to do what they do best," Widenius wrote in a blog post Thursday. The trend will also ensure that "in spite of whatever happens with MySQL at Oracle, that there will continue to be high quality support and services around MySQL and MariaDB," he added.
Widenius and Monty Program don't have an active role in SkySQL, but the companies plan to partner, he said.
Concern from MySQL advocates such as Widenius prompted an extended review of the Oracle-Sun merger by European authorities. Widenius continued his advocacy Friday by filing an appeal of the now-completed deal in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
In order to assuage regulators' concerns, Oracle issued a series of public pledges concerning MySQL, including that customers would not be required to purchase support from Oracle if they buy commercial licenses of MySQL.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts