IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard today finalized its acquisition of Palm and confirmed it will use the company's WebOS in future tablets and netbooks.
In its statement on the deal today, HP pointed in that direction. "Palm will be responsible for WebOS software development and WebOS-based hardware products, from a robust smartphone roadmap to future slate PCs and netbooks," the statement said.
HP showed off a tablet called the Slate, running Windows 7, at the International Consumer Electronics Show in January. Since then it has released additional details about the future device but reportedly dropped Windows 7 from its plans.
The Palm business unit will report to Todd Bradley, executive vice president of HP's Personal Systems Group. The company said it will help it compete in a $100 billion market for smartphones and connected mobile devices.
Palm was a pioneer in the handheld computer business with its Palm Pilot devices and in smartphones with the Treo line. But it fell behind Apple, Research In Motion and other rivals during the lengthy development of WebOS and the Palm Pre, which debuted last year. The company started seeking a buyer in earnest earlier this year after it became clear its revenue was falling short of expectations.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts