Verizon begins field trial of Cisco-based unified services
Hosted Collaboration Solution at Verizon is based on Cisco's Unified Computing System
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- Verizon Business today said it has launched a field trial of a new cloud-based unified communications and collaboration service for business customers. The new offering is based on technology from Cisco Systems.
The service, dubbed Cisco's Hosted Collaboration Solution at Verizon, relies on what Cisco calls its Unified Computing System.
The Cisco system relies on use of virtual machines to support user demand, said Barry O'Sullivan, senior vice president of voice technology at Cisco, speaking at a news conference at the Cisco Live! conference here.
Cisco also announced that European carriers Swisscom and Orange have started field tests of the new technology.
O'Sullivan said that users of the Verizon implementation of the service can decide whether to rely on on-premise servers or on cloud-based systems to support the unified communications services.
Verizon's trial will include Cisco's Unified Communications 8.0 software which provides a UC manager to customers, and capabilities for users to have presence information as well as Webex collaboration and management tools for Webex, O'Sullivan said.
Also on Wednesday, BT Group PLC announced an expansion of its hosted Internet Protocol telephone service with some Cusco unified communications services to business customers in the U.S. The service was initially launched in the U.K. in December.
BT's service also relies on Cisco cloud-computing technologies using an existing approach called Cisco Hosted Unified Communications, O'Sullivan explained. O'Sullivan said BT's service is not based on UCS and therefore doesn't run in virtual machines or have the complete set of collaboration tools of Verizon's. He didn't elaborate further on the differences between the two systems.
BT's service allows businesses to cut costs by converging voice, mobile and data services on every desktop in a customer's operation, BT said in a statement.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed .
- Cisco exec sees Cius tablet as thin client hit
- Verizon begins field trial of Cisco-based unified services
- Cisco's FabricPath beats IETF standard to market
- Cius: What it means to Cisco and users
- Cisco and video: Wi-Fi for Flip, end to Flash debacle, video client for App Store
- Cisco launches Cius tablet for business
- Cisco unveils enterprise energy management platform
- Cisco offers device for home energy control
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
One Storefront to Rule Them All
Take the load off managing mobile users with IT service request and delivery across all platforms!
Give your users the on-demand, enterprise app...
All Applications White Papers |