Verizon begins field trial of Cisco-based unified services
Hosted Collaboration Solution at Verizon is based on Cisco's Unified Computing System
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- Verizon Business today said it has launched a field trial of a new cloud-based unified communications and collaboration service for business customers. The new offering is based on technology from Cisco Systems.
The service, dubbed Cisco's Hosted Collaboration Solution at Verizon, relies on what Cisco calls its Unified Computing System.
The Cisco system relies on use of virtual machines to support user demand, said Barry O'Sullivan, senior vice president of voice technology at Cisco, speaking at a news conference at the Cisco Live! conference here.
Cisco also announced that European carriers Swisscom and Orange have started field tests of the new technology.
O'Sullivan said that users of the Verizon implementation of the service can decide whether to rely on on-premise servers or on cloud-based systems to support the unified communications services.
Verizon's trial will include Cisco's Unified Communications 8.0 software which provides a UC manager to customers, and capabilities for users to have presence information as well as Webex collaboration and management tools for Webex, O'Sullivan said.
Also on Wednesday, BT Group PLC announced an expansion of its hosted Internet Protocol telephone service with some Cusco unified communications services to business customers in the U.S. The service was initially launched in the U.K. in December.
BT's service also relies on Cisco cloud-computing technologies using an existing approach called Cisco Hosted Unified Communications, O'Sullivan explained. O'Sullivan said BT's service is not based on UCS and therefore doesn't run in virtual machines or have the complete set of collaboration tools of Verizon's. He didn't elaborate further on the differences between the two systems.
BT's service allows businesses to cut costs by converging voice, mobile and data services on every desktop in a customer's operation, BT said in a statement.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed .
- Cisco exec sees Cius tablet as thin client hit
- Verizon begins field trial of Cisco-based unified services
- Cisco's FabricPath beats IETF standard to market
- Cius: What it means to Cisco and users
- Cisco and video: Wi-Fi for Flip, end to Flash debacle, video client for App Store
- Cisco launches Cius tablet for business
- Cisco unveils enterprise energy management platform
- Cisco offers device for home energy control
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts