Amazon enriches Kindle for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Macworld - Amazon is enhancing its Kindle reading experience by adding major new features to the platform--but only for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users.
The mammoth Internet retailer has introduced audio and video features to a handful of books in its Kindle marketplace. These features are supported only by its free, universal Kindle app for Apple's devices (including the iPad), which competes with Amazon's own Kindle hardware devices for aspiring e-book customers.
The books available with the new audio or video features include a few from Rick Steves's travel series (such as the 2010 editions of Paris, Rome, and London), Knitting for Dummies 2nd edition, and Bird Songs: 250 North American Birds in Song. All of the multimedia-infused Kindle books released so far cost $10.
Amazon updated its iOS app last week to version 2.1.1 with no mention of support for the new features. Presumably, this latest version supports these enhanced books.
Support for multimedia books should give Amazon a leg up over Apple's iBookstore. iBooks 1.1 indeed brought new features like bookmarking, annotations, and highlighting, as well as cloud sync for all this information between the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. But support for multimedia has so far been the domain of third-party apps that live outside of iBooks as separate, native apps.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts