Verizon Business adds new IP services
Offerings aimed at helping Verizon better enable enterprise adoption of unified communications systems
Computerworld - Verizon Business today unveiled unified communications and collaboration services that it said are designed to simplify adoption of the technologies and lower costs for business users.
A new IP-based audioconferencing service eliminates per-minute charges for calls originating from a Verizon IP-enabled location.
Verizon's VoIP IP Enterprise Routing (VIPER) offering relies on cloud-based services that eliminate domestic or international per-minute charges for calls made between Verizon VoIP customers in either the U.S. or Europe.
Verizon didn't disclose the cost of the new services.
The features Verizon announced are among the many advantages of IP calling that enterprises have been talking about for years, though Verizon says the size of its network gives it a major advantage over competitors, which include other major global service providers.
Verizon cited a May report by research firm IDC that described Verizon as a leader among seven hosted service providers it listed.
The IDC report noted that Verizon has complete control over its network, which means it's able to offer better call quality and provide better security and privacy. It also said that Verizon customers benefit from the company's Burstable Enterprise Shared Trunks technology, which allows dynamic trunking and hosted capacity.
AT&T was the only other carrier of the seven IDC examined that owns the network it uses. The research firm said it expects Verizon and AT&T to "move further into the 'Leader' position over the next 12 to 18 months." It also noted that AT&T benefits from strong relationships with Cisco Systems Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more