Verizon Business adds new IP services
Offerings aimed at helping Verizon better enable enterprise adoption of unified communications systems
Computerworld - Verizon Business today unveiled unified communications and collaboration services that it said are designed to simplify adoption of the technologies and lower costs for business users.
A new IP-based audioconferencing service eliminates per-minute charges for calls originating from a Verizon IP-enabled location.
Verizon's VoIP IP Enterprise Routing (VIPER) offering relies on cloud-based services that eliminate domestic or international per-minute charges for calls made between Verizon VoIP customers in either the U.S. or Europe.
Verizon didn't disclose the cost of the new services.
The features Verizon announced are among the many advantages of IP calling that enterprises have been talking about for years, though Verizon says the size of its network gives it a major advantage over competitors, which include other major global service providers.
Verizon cited a May report by research firm IDC that described Verizon as a leader among seven hosted service providers it listed.
The IDC report noted that Verizon has complete control over its network, which means it's able to offer better call quality and provide better security and privacy. It also said that Verizon customers benefit from the company's Burstable Enterprise Shared Trunks technology, which allows dynamic trunking and hosted capacity.
AT&T was the only other carrier of the seven IDC examined that owns the network it uses. The research firm said it expects Verizon and AT&T to "move further into the 'Leader' position over the next 12 to 18 months." It also noted that AT&T benefits from strong relationships with Cisco Systems Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts