Update: Apple launches iOS 4 upgrade
The iPhone OS update became available just after 1 p.m. ET
Computerworld - Apple released the iOS 4 update today just after 1 p.m. ET, 10 a.m. PT. The release confirmed comments earlier in the day from users who had spoken to the company's sales and support desks.
Apple updated iTunes to version 9.2 last week to make the software compatible with the new mobile OS.
Several iPhone owners on Apple's support forum claimed that they had been told by Apple support personnel that the iOS 4 update would launch at 10 a.m. PT. Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., in the Pacific Time zone.
The timing matched what Apple did last year when it rolled out the then-new iPhone 3.0 on June 17 shortly after 1 p.m. ET.
Owners of 2008's iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod Touch, and 2009's 3GS and third-generation iPod Touch, will be able to download the free iOS 4 upgrade today. iOS 4 will not be available to users of the first-generation iPhone or iPod Touch, both which debuted in 2007.
Previously, Apple has dinged iPod Touch owners $10 for major operating system upgrades, but an accounting change last year now allows it to provide iOS free of charge.
Apple previewed iOS 4 -- formerly called iPhone 4 OS -- in April. Two weeks ago, Apple CEO Steve Jobs touted the operating system's new features, including multitasking, folders and a unified e-mail inbox.
The new iPhone 4, which will have iOS 4 pre-installed, is scheduled to go on sale Thursday, when Apple's retail stores open at 7 a.m.
Apple, AT&T, Best Buy and Apple's other U.S. retail partners quickly exhausted their pre-order inventories of iPhone 4s last week, when both Apple's and AT&T's ordering systems collapsed under the strain. Apple later apologized for the fiasco.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Apple's iOS 4
- Facebook blocks access to hidden iPad app
- LTE iPhone unlikely this year, says analyst
- Apple slams Amazon's Android e-store as 'inferior'
- Apple iOS: Why it's the most secure OS, period
- Apple launches iWork productivity apps for iPhone
- Analysts split on iPhone over-the-air-update buzz
- Apple's iOS 4.3 a welcome update for iPad, iPhone
- iOS 4.3 boosts first-gen iPad browser speed by 18%
- Update: Apple jumps gun, delivers early iOS 4.3 update for AT&T iPhone, iPad
- iPhone dev knocks Apple over vague new sub rules
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Smartphones White Papers |