IT staffing firms file suit over new H-1B rules
The net impact of the memo has been to block the transfer of H-1B workers to new sites so they can take on new projects.
When an H-1B employee moves from job to job, they typically transfer their H-1B visa to a different company. Since the memo was issued, the USCIS has been blocking those transfers, said Mark Roberts, the CEO of the TechServe Alliance.
The immigration service has also been rejecting some initial applications for H-1B workers.
Roberts said the USCIS action is having "a chilling effect on the industry" because consultants with H-1B visas are now fearful of moving to a different company, which is causing some contracting deals to fall apart.
"All this will lead, ultimately, to more offshoring -- companies always get done what they need to get done. [Now] they will get it done offshore," said Roberts.
The tech industry has argued that staffing firms fill technology gaps; critics say the IT staffing firms can bring in less costly H-1B workers who displace U.S. workers.
"If the mere requirement that people actually work for their employer will put many companies out of business, that demonstrates the extent of the rampant abuse in the H-1B program," said John Miano, founder of the Programmers Guild. "When Congress created the H-1B program it expected that such visas would only be used when U.S. workers cannot be found and as a last resort."
A USCIS spokesman said the agency won't comment on the lawsuit.
Eleanor Pelta, first vice president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said the USCIS took direct aim at the IT staffing companies with the memo. She called it "an attempt to carve out staffing companies from being eligible for H-1Bs."
The Neufeld memo redefines the concept of worker control, requiring that an employer must be "directly over the shoulder of the employee" in order to have an employer-employee relationship.
The USCIS has been under pressure from some in Congress, particularly Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) and Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who have called on the agency to implement more controls and scrutiny of the use of H-1B workers.
The use of H-1B staffing agencies has long been a point of contention with in the H-1B debate, and the lawsuit may well bring the issue to a head.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOP presses ahead on H-1B, green cards with vague, muddy statement
- 5 reasons why your IT job search is getting harder
- Professors warn that grads could face competition from H-1B workers
- Infosys ran 'unlawful' visa scheme, U.S. alleges in settlement
- U.S. set to disclose Infosys visa case resolution
- Infosys prepares U.S. settlement over visa use, as it faces new class action suit
- House Democrats push ahead on immigration, H-1B
- Utility cuts IT workforce, hires Indian outsourcers
- IBM settles with U.S. over alleged discrimination in job ads
- H-1B workers in line for Obamacare work
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts